Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Nice People

If you know me well, you know that I'm a pretty pessimistic person. Granseur is very optimistic about everything. I just say I'm a realist because if something bad can happen, it usually does. I generally don't think people have the best of intentions and instead of thinking people are good until proven otherwise, I tend to think that most people are bad until proven otherwise. There are many reasons for this that I won't get into, but I think its rare to find a truly nice person or friend who just IS.

I know its not right and I'm been trying to change my attitude for quite some time. It does help that Granseur is there to keep my thoughts in check. Right now I think God is trying to show me His love and grace through other people and to let go of my negative thinking.

Here was our day on Sunday....

Granseur, Audrey, and I went to a 1st birthday party for a friend's little girl. While we were there we were discussing the logistics of having three babies at home. Part of that included car seats. We have an infant seat that Audrey used to use and now Audrey has a new car seat. Now, we just needed to buy one more infant seat for the time being. Our friends then offered to let us borrow their infant seat! How nice and thoughtful!

Afterwards we went to a restaurant to eat. Audrey gave her very first wave to a couple sitting across from us. She loved them and tried to talk to them. We didn't really talk that much with the couple, so they didn't really know anything about us. After they got their check and left, a waitress came up to us and said that the couple had just bought our meal for us! We couldn't believe it! I teared up of course because its so nice. We thought we would pass on the kindness and told the waitress to put a $15 tip on our card for her. (We hardly ever carry around cash.) Upon looking at our card statement....she never did! She asked if we were sure we wanted to do that, and we told her YES and why....but I guess she was trying to be nice by not taking it!

Later on that night, I was checking my e-mail. A good new friend of mine knew that Audrey was having surgery this Saturday and said that she would be there along with another friend of mine for support. She even offered money for a hotel stay so we could be close to the hospital! Even though this is a friend of mine, I have not known her that long and that grand gesture of generosity was just amazing! I can't believe so many people are so giving!

The next day my mom came over. We had asked them to pick up a triple stroller for us that we found at a consignment shop. We didn't buy it at the time because we were traveling all over that weekend and had our car stuffed. It never would have fit. I was going to pay her back when she brought it over. Well....my mom and dad are just giving it to us as a gift! How nice is that?!

I told my pastor about Audrey's upcoming surgery as well. I told him that since he's "in" with God, that I could definately use his prayers for a safe surgery and recovery. Well....he offered to be there with us! We didn't even ask!

I also really like my old OB. He delivered Audrey and was more than great during the whole pregnancy and delivery. I never felt rushed and he talked to me about all my concerns as long as I needed to. Even when Granseur had to leave the room while I got my epidural, my doctor was there comforting me the entire time and had even asked the hospital staff if my Granseur could stay while I was getting it done. He couldn't due to hospital policy but I thought it was very nice that he asked. I recently decided to leave that OB (even though I REALLY didn't want to) for this pregnancy because I know twins normally come early and I wanted to deliver at a hospital that had a high level NICU just in case. Also, if you do go into labor before 34 weeks you can't deliver at the hospital in town anyway. I just decided it was the best thing to do to switch. I told him in person and he was very nice about it. He talked with me at least a half hour about my concerns and was extremely supportive. He even offered to refer me to a physician that I liked even if I couldn't get in on my own and would continue to help me in any way he could for my pregnancy.

The thing that really gets me is the people who are so nice just because they are. They have no reason to be nice to me....I'm not their spouse, child, or relative. It's just in them and who they are.

Clearly, I'm becoming a little less cynical.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Shannon, I wish I could be there with you this weekend. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sending a little something with Candice and Marie. It's from the Sassyskeeball group. I'll call you next week to check on you, and if there is ANYTHING I can do, please call me.

Shera Spangler