Sunday, August 2, 2009

My husband, the PE

The day after Anderson and Samuel were born, Granseur found out that he passed the PE (Professional Engineer) exam! It is a HUGE deal. He got his engineering degree from college, then he had to take the EI (engineering intern) exam. Before you can even apply to take the PE exam you have to work under a professional engineer for four years. He has worked so hard for this. Both the EI and PE are 8 hour exams each.
While he was studying for the PE I hardly ever saw him. He would go to work and then stay in town and go to his parents' house to study usually until midnight or 1:00 in the morning. He would only come home from work every other day for about an hour so he could eat but mainly to give Audrey a bath. Since I was VERY pregnant, I could no longer do this task myself. After her bath was over he would leave and go study until midnight or 1:00 like usual. He was also still the scout master for the boy scouts at this time so sometimes he'd be gone all weekend as well. That means that a whole week could go by and I would only see him for about three hours total. He couldn't study in our house because at the time we were living in a two bedroom 900 sq. ft. house and he couldn't get away from the noise or Audrey demanding his attention. This went on for about 4 1/2 months.

He found out he passed when his cousin, who also took the PE exam, called him and said, "congratulations!" Granseur said, "On what? The babies?" Brian, his cousin, said, "Oh, well I don't know about any babies." Right then Granseur knew what he meant because you can check if you passed or not on the internet. It takes about three months to get the results back so he had been checking for a while but it had not been posted yet. Brian checked online as well and saw that he passed and since they have the same last name, I guess saw that Granseur passed, too! I asked if he was upset by the way he found out. He said, "Heck no! I'm sitting here looking at my two new sons and knowing that I need to be able to take care of them. It was a great way to find out."

I am so proud of him. We both (but especially Granseur) made sacrifices so that he could reach this goal. There was a ceremony on Thursday evening to present certificates out to the new professional engineers. Here's a couple pictures.


Look how happy he is!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We are proud too! Congrats!

Shera and Lance