Sunday, December 7, 2008

"How do you feel about twins?"

That's what we heard from the technician at our first ultrasound on November 18th. I don't think I responded at all because I was in so much shock! Granseur laughed of all things. That's good though...at least I know he's totally okay with it! I'll admit it, I cried. I think it was a mixture of thoughts like "Wow! Oh my gosh...really?! Holy crap...Granseur was right! Well, there are the three children we wanted to have...we don't have to worry about trying to get pregnant again for a third time." happiness along with "Will they be okay? What if they're born early? We don't have enough baby stuff. We don't have a big enough house! How am I going to take care of THREE babies? What if they both cry for 8 hours a day like Audrey used to do?"anxiousness. Luckily Granseur took pictures during the ultrasound and some video. I'm so glad I have those now.

It was so funny because as we were walking into the OB office, Granseur said, "Shannon, this is not how you're supposed to do this....walking in to get an ultrasound done while pushing a stroller." Also, even before I knew I was pregnant again Granseur said, "What if we have twins? That'd be great. We would be done and not have to worry about getting pregnant again." How does he do that?! I think that's part of why he laughed. He couldn't believe it was true.

My infertility journey was definately the hardest thing I ever had to go through. You can change almost any other circumstance in your life, but if you can't have kids....that's it...end of story! It was hard to accept (and I never did) that could be me and there was nothing I could do about it. In many ways I'm also thankful that I went through that. It helps me to appreciate Audrey so much more than I probably would have if I had gotten pregnant easily, so it made me a better mother. It was another thing that brought Granseur and I even closer together when I know that it can tear some couples apart. Also, when we were first going through treatments to try to conceive Audrey the possibility of twins was always in the back of our minds. We would have been thrilled if that was the case because we just wanted one baby...if we got two, how blessed would we be?! So that thought has been with me for a while. I certainly did not think that I was going to be pregnant again so soon and with no medical intervention at that, but when we found out we were having twins, I felt like God was preparing us all along. Had we not struggled with infertility, even the thought of twins would have never entered our mind and I probably wouldn't be this okay with it. At least now the thought was kind of there and while having three kids under a year and a half old can seem scary, we can also see how incredibly fortunate and blessed we are. This is God's perfect plan for us.

Some of the positives are: They can all play together. Sure, they'll probably hate each other now and then too because they're siblings but they'll definately be close. Although I will have triple duty on diapering, it will be over in just a few short years rather than if we had three kids spaced out. They will enjoy the same outings like Disney World because their age difference won't be that big.
I hated holding in the big news for so long but wanted to make sure that we told family and friends before I posted on here.

So, here's a few pictures. Videos will come later...they are just taking a long time to upload.







Waiting in the waiting room taking care of Audrey.














What?! Are you serious?











What's going on? Let me see!










The two babies.










One of the babies. You can see each baby better when they are isolated on the screen.







Oh my goodness!













Holy cow! Can you believe this honey? I'm a little scared! What about you?













Me and the three babies.













Family picture






No comments: