Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Adventures in Mothering

This is the MOPS theme this year and it is so true. Here's yesterday's adventure.

Audrey and I left the house at 8:30 a.m. to go to her neurologist appointment in Concord. Before we walked out the door, I changed two poop explosions. One happened while Audrey was already strapped into her carseat carrier and we were about to leave. It got all over her clothes and up her back. She's been having horrible diarrhea since she's been on her daily antibiotic and it was not a pretty sight.

Audrey had her appointment at 9:30. The doctor said her EEG looked "abnormal" at first and then I gasped. The doctor then said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I mean it looked normal. Everything looked fine." Way to make me lose my breath! So, Audrey seems to be fine. The good thing is that all of Audrey's seizures were while she had a UTI so it is likely that they were all febrile seizures but they will continue to follow her to make sure its not epilepsy.

Audrey does not like doctor's offices! She totally knows what's going on now and as soon as she lays down on the crinkly white paper she starts to cry because she knows what's coming....usually a catheter or shot! The neurologist didn't have to do those things so when I picked Audrey back up, she had this confused look on her face like, "you're not going to hurt me today?"

After her appointment I went to the hospital bathroom to change her diaper. She had pooped everywhere again so I had to change her clothes. While I was changing her diaper and changing her clothes, Audrey decided to pee again before I could get the new diaper underneath her. The biggest problem with that was that I had laid down my own changing pad on top of the table provided in the bathroom because I think those things are nasty. The changing pad is vinyl so it made her pee slide around everywhere! It was ridiculus.

We finally left the hospital around 11:30 and went across the street to the mall so I could go to the food court and get a quick bite to eat and feed Audrey as well. After I only took about 30 minutes to eat we were back in the car to go to Audrey's pediatrician appointment. We get there and while I'm walking back to a room in the doctor's office with Audrey to be seen, the power goes out! It was a perfectly sunny nice day, so I don't know what the deal was with that. Audrey got a catheter there to make sure her urine was clear (and it was). The fun part? She got a catheter by a nurse while another nurse held one of those little lights that doctor's stick in your ears so that the nurse doing the catheter could see what she was doing. It was pretty funny.

So now we're on our way out of the doctor's office to go home. Phew! I get to the elevator and realize that it doesn't work because the power is out! I'm on the third floor with my daughter in a stroller. Audrey was in the carrier that clips into the stroller. So, I had to unhook the carrier Audrey was in and carry her down to the first landing. Then I went back up and carried the stroller down to the first landing. We did this sequence about halfway down, but then since so many people had to use the stairs a nice man walking down helped me get the rest of the way down.

What a day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha, i can't believe you handle all you do as well as you do! it definately sounds like ADVENTURES!