Sunday, February 1, 2009

We're home!

I haven't explained exactly what the surgery would entail so here's a good synopsis. This is not our hospital webpage but it describes pretty accurately what Audrey had done. https://www.ucsfhealth.org/childrens/medical_services/urology/vreflux/ureteralFAQ.html

We left the hospital this morning around noon. Last night was kind of rough. Audrey did well recovering from surgery but as I'm sure you can guess, the hospital couch and chair were NOT comfortable at all. They were definately not made with pregnant women in mind. Audrey was tethered to an IV and a catheter during our entire stay so moving around was a challenge. Really, we just stayed on a chair and took turns holding her the whole time. That was a challenge as well because a lot of the time she just wanted to be free and play. The crib they had in there for her wasn't all that great either. The mattress was extremely soft so she couldn't really walk on it. If she tried, she'd just fall and bonk her head on the metal bars. Also, the mattress didn't fit well in the crib...there were gaps all around the side. So if her foot got in there she'd fall and get hurt. The crib bars were very thin metal so she couldn't grab them well. If she started to fall and put out an arm to catch herself, her arm would just go through one of the gaps and she'd hurt herself.
Of course since she's a baby you can't tell her to hold her foot or arm still so her IV kept getting messed up every few minutes. It was in her foot at first, but when the machine starting beeping at us every 30 seconds, we finally had to switch the IV to her arm which meant poking her again in the arm with a needle. She was not happy! It was so sad. Granseur was gone getting dinner for himself and we all know that he's the one she finds the most comfort in. While they were doing it she was screaming and crying and reaching for me as if to say, "MOMMY! FIX IT!" It really hurt for me not to reach for her and scoop her up from the "mean" nurses. :*(

She finally went to sleep at 10:30. She woke back up at 4:00 but it wasn't because she was in pain. She just wanted to play for an hour! I've never been so happy to see my child so happy and alert and well at 4:00 in the morning. :) She went back to sleep and got a couple more hours of sleep after that. Audrey didn't like getting her catheter and IV out but we were excited! We could finally move from one spot! Then like I said earlier...we got to leave at noon. We're all so glad to be home. Granseur's parents even brought us dinner.
Audrey is still taking pain meds and antibiotics. She goes back to the doctor in 3-4 weeks to see if the surgery was a success. For right now, she has bloody urine. That'll last for about a week or so and we're told its normal. Other than that, she seems pretty much back to normal. I couldn't have asked for a better outcome. Thank God!

Here's some pictures from the surgery

Um, why are we here so early?

Getting ready for surgery. She's pointing at an IV bag.


Just out of surgery and coming out of anesthesia. You can tell she's zonked!

Mommy finally gets to hold Audrey. Her face is so pitiful. I was so happy and relieved to hold her. I cried A LOT before she was taken away from me for surgery. I knew I was doing the right thing but it still somewhat feels wrong to have your child taken away knowing that someone is going to cut her open. Then of course there's that fear that the surgery may go wrong and I won't ever get to see her again. I am so thankful we live in the times we do though. If it weren't for this surgery, continuous infections would damage Audrey's kidneys to where they wouldn't work anymore and she would die.


Reading cards from visitors.
Resting in the best spot in the world.

Audrey in the horrible crib. We always watched her while she was in it and moved her IV and catheter around while she would walk around and play.


And yes, I guess some people might think its weird that I took pictures on her surgery day, but like I said....there's that fear that it may be the last time I see her. I also thought it was very sweet how her Daddy was taking such good care of her.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you guys are home! It's not weird at all that you took pictures. We took pictures of Madison inside Intensive care. I thought it was important for her to see everything that happened to her one day. And yes, the hours and minutes leading up to them coming to take your baby from you are the most horrifying! Warning: I'm going to call you sometime this week, so think of a day that either you want to come here, or want to drop Audrey off....or SOMETHING I CAN DO FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the yelling, but I want to help you, girlie!! Let me!

Shera

Lori Ghiata Bowser said...

Shannon - I love you so much. Now I know that you know first-hand the love I have for you because of the love you have for Audrey. I am so glad for you that you and Granseur and Audrey are home now from the hospital. I know that it was a very scary experience for you. And, I am thrilled that things went well. I will continue to pray for Audrey's speedy recover, quick healing, and no more infections. We love you all so much.

With More Love Than My Heart Can Hold,
Mom

hkilde said...

Good for you for taking photos and journaling everything. That will mean so much to her when she is older. She will be glad to know that you and Daddy were right there! I am proud of you strong Mommy! Let us know how we can help.